Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bananas Foster Cake


Every year at work we have a bake sale for the United Way. Last year I was our department's coordinator and this is what I made for the bake sale. I originally clipped the recipe from Woman's Day and I wasn't too happy with it, so again I doctored it or Fostered it. It went over so well people came back and bought second and third helpings and requested the recipe. And since I am un-Boo Radleying myself I won't mention the one IT guy who didn't know what a smore was, to the point he even pronounced it like we were in Italy: "sah-more-eh, what is a sah-more-eh?" What can I say, he was an IT guy, Tobey is an IT guy and we know sometimes there is no help for 'em.


Banana Nut Crumb Cake or Mrs. Oh's Bananas Foster Cake


Crumb Topping

2 cups AP flour

1 cup packed light brown sugar

3/4 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup walnuts


Mix flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mix forms coarse crumbs, stir in nuts. Set aside.


Cake

1 cup mashed nanners (2 large)

1/2 cup oil

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1/3 cup sour cream (reduced fat is ok)

2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp salt

2 cups AP flour

3/4 cup baking soda


1 jar caramel ice cream topping, warmed.


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan.


Cake

Mix nanners, oil, sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and whisk until combined. Stir in flour and baking soda until blended. Spread evenly in pan and top with crumb mixture.


Bake 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool until is it just warm to the touch. Drizzle the entire cake with the caramel sauce and top with sifted powered sugar.
Enjoy!
~ame


0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home