Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Star Trek Tuesday


John de Lancie and Mom, Star Trek Convention, Tallahassee, FL


The new Star Trek movie comes out on Thursday, May 7th. I might add that I am not too happy with movies opening on weeknights because there is no way I can make the midnight showing, which seems to be a family tradition. I am really excited to see J.J. Abrahm's vision of Star Trek and I am sure comparisons will be made from the new to the old. On a side note, I think the casting of Hero's Zachary Quinto as Spock is brilliant!

In honor of the movie opening I thought I would share a little bit of family Star Trekesque trivia: Chewie and Nappy were named after Star Trek spin-off characters, or to be more specific Deep Space Nine characters: the captain and his son, if you must know.

I know, I am a geek. To make matters worse, Chewie's middle name is Patrick, for Patrick Stewart, the best Star Trek captain ever. I think my coolness factor just went down a few notches with my readers.

I won't mention that I have seen all the original episodes, plus all of the Next Gen espisodes, Deep Space Nine and Voyager episodes and of course, all the movies. I drew the line at the Enterprise series despite my love of Scott Bakula because he will always be my beloved Dr. Sam Beckett.

And then there were the conventions where we met James Doohan (Scotty), Majel Barrett (Nurse Chapel, Lwaxana Troi, the voice of the computer and Gene Roddenberry's wife), and my favorite John de Lancie (Q).

Yeah, I think my coolness factor went down several notches.


~ame

4 comments:

Nerd....lol!

Number 2 your Number 1 while I take a number 2.

-Picard to Riker

Enterprise was pretty awesome, if you can ignore the theme song, which was as far from a Star Trek theme song as you can get.

Yeah but Scott Bakula in a ST jumpsuit...*shudders*

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home