Monday, September 21, 2009

The Panko Bandwagon

If you spend any of your day watching the Food Network it will only be a matter of time before you come across this item: Panko Japanese bread crumbs. It seems that everyone who is anyone in the 'food' world uses Panko. This past weekend I embarked upon the Panko bandwagon. In case you have never heard of Panko crumbs they are much coarser than regular bread crumbs.

While I was grocery shopping I picked up regular bread crumbs because we were out and then I saw the box of Panko for twice the price of the regular crumbs. I figured what the heck and bought them despite their $2.19 price tag. Now I had the Panko and no idea what to do with them. On Saturday we were having boneless center cut pork chops and I decided to experiment.

I brushed the chops with dijon mustard and let them set for a few minutes while I heated up a skillet with a little bit of oil. I dreged the chops in a milk/egg wash and coated them in flour and then dredged them again in the milk/egg wash and finally coated them with the Panko.

I fried them up in the pan and once nice and brown I moved them to a baking dish and finished them up in the oven. The Panko crumbs made such a lovely crunchy crust on the pork the likes I have never gotten from flour and the pork chops were moist and totally delicious. So next time you are out shopping - pick up some Panko crumbs and let me know what you do with yours!

~ame

1 comments:

It's not Thursday....whats with the recipe?

Are you sure that Lacy didn't eat up your regular bread crumbs?

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home