Monday, March 2, 2009

Movie Monday


The other night we watched A Mighty Heart with Angelina Jolie and Dan Futterman. I think everyone knows the story of Danny Pearl, the Wall Street Journal journalist that was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan 2002. The movie is based upon the book of the same name authored by Mr. Pearl’s wife Mariane, which I have not read.

While Toby and I sat through the entire movie, not engrossed by it but maybe engaged, we both came to the same conclusion in the end: depressing. How could it not be considering the subject matter? What I took from the movie was the strength of Mariane Pearl. I could not imagine that I would have acted in the same manner as she did under the same circumstances. Her focus and her faith in the film were palpable. The scenery of Pakistan (which reminded me of the Philippines) I thought was horrific. I think we really take for granted that we live in the greatest country on the planet. We may have our problems but most of Karachi was beyond destitute and I cannot fathom living in their world, or God forbid, trying to raise my children there.

I would recommend this movie simply because it contained a beautiful love story despite all the horrors of the war on terrorism.



~ame


2 comments:

Sounds like a good movie. You know why dad liked it ;).

Both Simba and Mrs O have the misconception that I like AJ, but that is not true. I would much rather see JLH any day ... and maybe the Target WOW ... rofl

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home