Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Lion King

Dear Simba,

Do you remember shopping for your prom dress and how shocked you were that I said it was acceptable even if Dad wanted you to wear a burlap sack?

It isn't that we don't want you to grow up.

It isn't that we want to stifle your life.

It isn't that we aren't proud of you.

What it is though, is something so simple: it is that we love you.

It is that we worry about your choices.

It is that we will do everything in our power to make sure that no one or no thing ever hurts you.

It is that we want the very best in life for you.

It is that we see the potential in you that you don't even see.

It is that we will never sell you short even though you do.

It is....it is that we are your parents. Making your life miserable is our job.

Love,
The person you formally called Mom

8 comments:

Take out the line about the prom dress and I could have written this to Shortman. ;-)

None of them really get it until they have their own, Mrs. Ohtobe. Then they'll get it in wave after wave after wave.

I love you too. And sadly i wont understand what your trying to do until I have kids. But ill try my best to understand. And i know you worry about me, but you cant protect me forever, in fact at USF you really have no control over what happens to me, and i know that scares you, but i was raised well and you just gotta trust me even though thats hard for you to do. I'm just trying to be me, even if you think I'm trying to be something I'm not.

Exactly my point!

Oooh, we've been there.

Our daughter currently feels that we don't let her dress as sexily as she can because we don't want her to grow up. It's our job to tell her that being grown up and dressing attractively doesn't mean putting it all out there on display. She doesn't get it, of course; but someday she will.

Ditto on the clothing issues here. I don't know why they equate trashy to being grown up!

I dont dress "trashy" or like a "whore". You seem to think that having some skin showing and some tightness is those things. I dont dress as badly as you seem to think, many disagree with you, even parents!

Hmmmm...what does Generation C - c for clueless - call it then if not trashy?

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home