Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Recipe: Blooming Onion Dipping Sauce

There has been a resurgence of the onion ring in our house ever since I borrowed Pioneer Woman's Onion Straw recipe. Or as we say in the south, I borried her recipe. Anywho her recipe is super easy and quick, just don't let Tobey in the kitchen to cut the onions. I like my onions nice and thin like her recipe says to do. Tobey? He likes his onions big and chunky. Her recipe doesn't do as well with big and chunky - just a warning for ya. The batter seemed to have issues with sticking to the big chunks of onion so don't deviate. You don't want to hear my theory as to why the batter slides off the onion when you fry it but let me tell you this: it is all in the way your hubby sliced them onions to begin with. Enough said.

The recipe I am sharing today is widely available on the 'net and you can tweek it any way you like. If you like it hot 'n spicy like I do, add a little more cayenne and horsey sauce. If you are a wimpy like Nappy, add less. So without further ado let me introduce you to:

Tobey's Stolen Recipe But Claimin' It For Our Own Dippin' Sauce

The Cast:

1/2 cup mayo (for the love of all things Onion Ringy do not use Miracle Whip)
1 tbsp ketchup or catsup (your choice)
2 tbsp horseradish sauce (creamy or a bit chunky - who cares)
1/3 tsp paprika (smoked is best)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1/3 cayenne pepper
fresh ground pepper to taste

Whisk all the ingredients up in a bowl and when done put in the fridge until it is nice and chilly.

This sauce is so good you can slather it on hamburgers and it makes a good sammich spread too. I love this sauce so much that we always make a double batch to have some leftovers and I won't admit to slathering it on anything in this house that isn't nailed down: small children, farm animals, cake or ice cream. Ok, not the last two but really, you can not go wrong with this one. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

~ame

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home