Thursday, December 17, 2009

Meringue Cookies: The Recipe

These cookies are my absolute favorite and if you have tried the store bought ones and like them then you are in for a treat to have them made fresh at home. They are so much better! This recipe is also the only recipe I have that is hand written from my Grandma W and I cherish that little card that is tucked in my recipe book. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do - each bite is a memory from my childhood Christmases.

Meringue Cookies

2 egg whites (room temperature)
2/3 cup of sugar
1 cup of your favorite chocolate chips
1 cup of chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray your cookie sheet with Pam.

Beat the egg whites until very stiff peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and continue to beat until sugar is incorporated. Fold in chips and nuts. Drop by rounded spoonfuls* on cookie sheet and place in oven. Leave the oven on for 16 seconds then turn the oven off and leave cookies in overnight.

*I put the meringue in a piping bag and pipe little dollops instead of using a spoon. Also right before you add in the chips you can add in a few drops of food coloring if you like. Grandma and I make regular white cookies and I use mini chocolate chips. We both also make green ones for Christmas with mint chips inside. I used Andi's Mint Bits and they turned out yummy. You could dye the meringue pink and make some peppermint ones too.


~ame

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home