Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chicken Marsala: The Mrs. Oh Recipe


Will you just look at that gorgeous sorta shallow depth-of-field shot I took! And to quote PeeWee Herman, "I meant to do that." Uh, huh.

If there is one thing I know about cooking it is this: you can just wing it from time to time and things will turn out edible. But only with cooking folks. Baking? Not so much. Having been a baker for so many years I know better than to deviate from the recipe. Don't ask me how I know this but suffice it to say you can't just throw blueberries in cookie dough and set the cooked plate on cookies on the rainy window sill and expect to have anything less than Mrs. Oh's famous or infamous Blueberry Sponge Cookies. It was not a pretty sight to behold my friends.


So without further blabbering, here is my just-wing-it recipe for some awesome Chicken Marsala. And this serves a ton because we have a ton of folks to feed - feel free to cut everything in half to serve a non-Brady Bunch sized family.


Chicken Marsala

The Low-Down:

8 chickie breasts, cut up and get your man to trim all the fat off. Blech!


Add about 1/2 - 1 cup of AP flour to a dish and toss in some oregano or Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir it around a bit so everyone is getting nice and friendly.


Heat up equal amounts of olive oyl er oil and butter (I used 1 stick of butter and 8 tbps of olive oil) in a huge fry pan and kick the heat up to medium until they are nice and melty. Add your chicken in batches and fry them up until they are browned on the outside. Don't worry if they aren't completely done - they will be by the time we are through with them. Once you have one batch done, take the chicken out the pan and place them some place safe where the kids or dogs won't get to them. Or Tobey.


Now while the chicken is cooking, cut up some mushrooms. Baby Bellas, buttons - whatever you like best. I used 2 pounds of button mushrooms. Once the chicken is done and removed from your pan add in some Marsala and Sherry. You want 1 part Marsala to 1/2 part Sherry. I used 2 cups of Marsala and 1 cup Sherry. Stir all the little fried on bits loose and add in your 'shrooms and chicken. If you are like me, you will want to add some chopped garlic, salt and pepper.

Cover and let that bad boy simmer for about 10 minutes or so. Then remove the cover and kick the heat back up to medium and cook another 10 minutes or so, until the sauce is all good and thickened.






Serve over angel hair pasta and you will have yourself a little piece of Italian heaven for dinner.

Enjoy!

~ame

1 comments:

I love chicken marsala.

My husband is the cook. I am the baker. He is an awful baker because he tries to bake like he cooks, a bit of this, a bit of that, and you're right, you have to be EXACT.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home