Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It is Tuesday night..And I am alive!

Praise Jesus.

Where to begin?

On Sunday morning I awoke to severe chest pains. At first I thought and felt like my nightgown had bunched around my chest but I quickly discovered that was not the case. I got out of bed to use the bathroom and was certain that I was going to pass out while on the toilet. Actually I thought I was going to pass out and die alone in that bathroom. I was also cold and sweating buckets so much so that my nightgown was damp. And my chest hurt. It really hurt. I crawled from the bathroom to the bedroom and hollered for Tobey to get up - that I wasn't feeling well.

Tobey ended up calling 911 and I was taken by ambulance to the ER and immediately placed in the cardiac ICU. I am so grateful to each person that had their hands on me and with the grace and glory of God - I am still here. I know that if I would have stayed home I wouldn't have survived this mess I created within myself.

So what happened then?

One of the lead arteries in my heart was blocked. 90% blocked. How could this be? My cholesterol levels have always been great. My blood pressure has always been great. I couldn't have heart problems. No one in my family has heart issues in recent memory. Sure I smoke but that causes cancer....right? And a pack a day really isn't that bad especially if you consider I let most of them burn out in the ash tray....


After two heart catherizations and one nice stint installed - I am doing better. After getting all the test results back I was informed today that I was indeedy having a heart attack when I came in on Sunday and that I had another one after the stint was installed due to some of the plaque breaking off during the stint installation. Where there wasn't damage to my heart on Sunday there is some damage now after the stint. To what extreme? I am not sure but the doctor told me if I quit smoking, watch what I eat and walk 20 minutes a day a few times a week that I would be fine.

Consider it done.

While I am trying to write this without getting all weepy eyed but I can't rave on enough about the excellent care I have received while in the hospital. Tobey hasn't left my side and my friends and family have been wonderful with the visits, phone calls and emails etc. I am blessed. And now I dang well know it.

They say I should be going home tomorrow. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers if you get time to hit your knees....because I am still scared to death every time the alarm goes off on the heart monitor I am hooked up to. Tobey keeps reminding me that I am just fine and that they fixed my heart - which is SO true - but I think I am going to live everyday forward being terrified. And for that I am beyond grateful.



I am SO glad they fixed you, Mrs. Oh. The initial fear will dissapate, and as long as you stick to your new plan you will be FINE!

I am so happy to hear you are on the mend. I just read it on the Pie. Shocking.

I just read on BBP that you had a HEART ATTACK! I am so sorry, but I am so glad you didn't wait and got yourself to the ER. Yep, the smokes will do the damage. You have a second chance, so put those smokes down and exercise. I will be praying for you.

Whoa ... I'm glad you're okay!

So, I was sort of out of the loop everywhere and I had no idea, then somebody mentioned it today and I was all, "Whoa! No! Not Mrs. Oh!" Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. But listen, as someone who is scared to death that any minute I'm going to fall over and die, you have a heart monitor. They're going to keep a close eye on you. So you have a heart monitor, cardiologists, your sweet husband and God looking over you. You, Mrs. Oh, are going to be fine.

Now...get rid of the firesticks and start walking. I'm in your corner.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home