Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mrs. Oh and Dali

Sorry I haven't posted. SO much going on.

Let's begin with something fun! This past Saturday was Arts Alive day for the Tampa Bay area museums and I am all about the free admissions. So I loaded up the kids and we headed down to the new Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg.


We waited in line for about twenty minutes and the outside of the building is simply gorgeous.




This view is from the backside of the museum where there is a garden and labyrinth path.






The Golden Rectangle and the fibonacci sequence were laid on in the courtyard.





A self portrait?





Did i mention it was hot and humid? Luckily they were passing out Dali inspired fans and for some reason the boys didn't want one. I have no idea why.





The incredible helix staircase inside the museum.



A bank of posters available in the gift shop.



The coolest chain maille curtain that separates the gift shop from the admissions area. There is no picture taking allowed in the galleries.



A view from the gallery floor.



And another shot of the staircase.



The boys were totally impressed with Dali. Not. Nappy says that he just "isn't into art." Yeah. This simply can not be a child I birthed.

Velázquez Painting the Infanta Margarita with the Lights and Shadows of His Own Glory.
1958. Oil on canvas.




Since I couldn't take any pictures - which was a major bummer - I thought I would still include my favorite Dali painting for you above. One thing about the Dali museum that I have always loved is that their docents are so knowledgeable. Maybe they had a bunch of new volunteers for the Arts Alive festivities because as we stood in front of the Infanta the docent told another visitor that he had no idea about the painting or what it meant. I about died. Let me stand infront of the thing all day long and I will enlighten folks! Which I tried to do with Nappy. He wasn't that interested but I did at least get him to comprehend and see the bullfighter in the Hallucinogenic Toreador....


Be sure to stop by tomorrow for pictures of our trip to the Pier Aquarium.



~ames

2 comments:

Glad to see you back. The museum is beautiful and is it right on the water or is that a man-made lake?

It is on the marina. :)

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home