Friday, May 21, 2010

Grumbles @ Wal-Mart

I have a secret....

I really hate my house. Ok. Not really - but sorta/kinda. There are things that are in our house that I really don't like. For example: Mom's ginormous sectional that is 10 feet too big for our living room. But I suppose that is what we get for buying a really nice living room set (with a warranty) from a company that went on to file bankruptcy. So when we had an issue with the couch springs sprunging we were left out in the cold. Ergo: Mom's couch is now in our living room. And while I love it due to how comfie it is - it simply is too big for our tiny house.

But that really isn't my main issue. My main issue is our former porch/office/kids bedroom. Years ago when we made the porch into Tobey's office I was enamored. I totally love that room. Still do - it overlooks the backyard what with the ponds and plants and stuff. I love that room so much that I refuse to let the kids paint it because I know some day it will be an office again and not a bedroom for one of the kiddos.

So what is the problem? The problem is the 'doors' going into the bedroom/office/porch room. First we just hung curtains but that didn't work too long. We then added bi-fold closet doors. And man-o-man they are all shades of ugly. So I want a nice curtain to cover up the ug.

The other day I went curtain shopping. I stopped at Ross. No luck. Le Target. Nope. Bed, Bath and Beyond? Even with a coupon I couldn't find anything. So I went to Wal-Mart. It was like the heavens opened up folks. I found the perfect set. The perfect color. I was in billowy curtain-like euphoria. There was one little problem though. The curtain that they had on display was no where to be found on the sales racks or pegs to be exact. Heck, there wasn't even a peg for that specific color of curtain. And since this is Wal-Mart: there was no one around to ask for help.

So I left and went to the Wal-Mart on the other side of town. Do you think they would have the same item? Nope. To say I was frustrated beyond belief would be an understatement. But not to be discouraged I thought I would be able to order the curtains on line. Right?

Wrong.

I searched their site and could only find the valance. Now what good would that do me to cover up the ugly I have going down in the kitchen doorway? So I googled the curtains and found a link to the Wal-Mart site for the reviews of said curtains. Reviews yes. Ability to purchase? Nope. No to be deterred I sent Wal-Mart.com an email. I explained the situation and I received a response stating that not all stores carry the same merchandise (duh) and that the web site didn't carry all the items that the stores carried too.

They then recommended that I check back with the site every 24-48 hours to see if the product became available. Sure, because I have no life - I can do that. Not. Tonight I went back to the original store and asked to speak to someone in the curtain department. Of course that person had already left for the day but it was suggested I take the sample and a package of the curtains in the wrong color to customer service to have them find the UPC. With the UPC they could then pull it up in their computer and see if it is available in a nearby store.

So I did that and the folks at the customer service desk thought I was insane and informed me that they couldn't do any of what their sales associate suggested. They said I could pick a store and they could call and see if the curtains were available. Yeah well, I can do that myself and since the line was growing longer behind me - I decided to leave.

When I got home I called most of the nearby stores. No one has these curtains. And even one of the phone numbers listed on the Wal-Mart.com site was wrong. That is the store that probably has the curtains.

I really dislike Wal-Mart. And they wonder why their sales are dropping...

~ame

3 comments:

One Word! - IKEA...'nuff said. We need to take another trip there soon.

Yanno I didn't even think about going there! What a great idea plus we get meatballs!

To all readers of Mutleythe dogsdayout

I am so terribly sorry to break this news:

Rob, the author here on blogger of mutley the dog, and my beloved partner in life died peacefully in his sleep in the early hours last Friday, the 21st of May.

I would have preferred to email readers privately. That would have been best, I know. So sorry. Simply it is this - I am heart-broken.

At some near time I will post properly, as Rob would wish - a celebration!

Regards

Kate

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home